Sunday, January 25, 2009

My First Tutorial!!!

For my sister's birthday I decided to make her two purses. I'm still working on the tute for the big purse, so while you're waiting here's a tute for the smaller one. This is the one I made for her. The size of this bag is entirely up to you and yardage depends on that. I used about 1/2 yard of fabric and lining for hers and about the same for the tute bag.
Materials you'll need:
fabric
lining
interfacing (optional)
thread
scissors
ruler
pins
I put interfacing on the materials list but I did not use it in this bag.
First thing you'll wanna do is fold your fabric and lining in half lenghtwise and then again widthwise.
Now, determine how wide you want the top of your bag. I made this one about 14" total, so 7" on the fold. Then determine about how tall you want it and mark it. Then draw a curved line, or whatever kind of line makes you happy, from the bottom to the top. Remember that you are cutting your bag on the fold so you'll want the bottom to be even. Think of cutting paper snowflakes or those little paper dolls.
Now lay the fabric and lining together so that the folded edges match up, and pin toghether to keep everything from slipping while you cut.
I didn't take very good pictures of this next part so there are none.
For the handles you'll need two long rectangles. I cut mine 2" wide by 22" long but yours can be any size you want them.
Time to sew! Yay!!
Place your fabric pieces right sides together and sew along the curved edges. Repeat for the lining. You can clip the curved edges or not. I didn't and everything turned out ok.

Place strap pieces right sides together and sew . Once sewn, turn strap right side out using your favorite method. If you like to be fancy, you can press your strap and then topstitch. I am not fancy so I just fingerpress while I topstitch.

With right sides together, center the strap over the side seams of the purse. Here you can adjust the straps to your preferred length, then pin or baste in place.


Place lining inside bag, again right sides together. Pin in place and sew, leaving a 2"-3" gap for turning, preferably inbetween the straps.


Turn it all right side out through the hole you left before, press (if you like) and topstitch along upper edge of purse.



Now you're all done! Please let me know if I've left anything out or if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment