Monday, February 16, 2009

Marker Rolls

I saw the idea for crayon rolls while browsing sewing tutorials online and thought they were really cute. Unfortunantly, my kids don't really use crayons. Thomas would rather break them than color with them so I've bought them markers instead. I just buy them at the Dollar Tree every month or so and replenish the supply. Anyway, back to the crayon roll. I really liked the idea but I'm not always good at adapting instructions or patterns and thought that this wouldn't work for me. Inspiration struck one night, about a week before Christmas, and I figured out how to make it work. Here is a little tute with no pics in case you wanna try.

Materials:
fabric and lining
fusible interfacing
thread
ruler
3/8" elastic
large button (optional)

First, you'll need to determine how much space your markers will take up. I use the skinny, markers and allow about 3/4" for each marker. A good way to measure is to lay your fabric over the marker and mark the edges of the marker on the fabric. Now multiply the number of markers by the width (3/4" or .75). Add 1" to that measurement. Mine was 16" wide. If you like to err on the side of caution you can add an extra 1/2". Next, figure how tall you need your roll to be. A good way to do this is to lay a marker vertically on top of the fabric, about 1/2" from the bottom and then add 2.5"-3" to the top. This portion will fold over the top of the markers so you can make it as long as you want. Mine was about 10" tall. Cut out your piece (10"x16") three times- 1 outer fabric, 1 lining, 1 interfacing. Now, cut out a piece from the outer lining that is 3-4" shorter than the main piece (7"x16") This will be the pocket.
Fuse the interfacing to the lining. Fold the pocket piece in half longways to create a piece that is now 3.5"x16" and press if desired. Again, my numbers may be different than yours. This is the time to make the marking for your marker slots. Since I added an extra inch to the width of my roll, I start my measurements 1/2" from the edge. Technically, my first slot is 1 1/4" (1/2" + 3/4"). Then I made a mark every 3/4" to the end of the fabric, ending with another 1 1/4" slot. Pin pocket piece to the lining pieces right side, lining up bottom and side raw edges. Starting at one edge, stitch along the marked slot lines, from the bottom to the top of the pocket, backstitching at the top for reinforcement.
Once all lines are stitched, pin the short ends of the elastic (approx. 4-5") just above the top of the pocket on one side and baste/stitch in place. Pin lining/pocket piece to outer fabric piece right sides togehter and sew, leaving a 2-3" space for turning. Clip the corners, turn right side out and press/topstitch. Insert your markers, fold top over markers and roll up to determine where to put the button. The button is not necessary. In fact, you can simply wrap the elastic around the roll to close. If you do use a button, I recommend a big one, jsut to make sure the elastic doesnlt slip off.
These I made for my nieces a few days ago. As you can see, I didn't properly measure the zebra print one and I was one slot short but I think it will work out. I also left the buttons off, but only becuase I don't have any big ones left. I also made the pockets too tall on these. I didn't follow my own instrucions and just cut the pocket to the same size as the main piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment