Friday, December 2, 2011

Feelin' quilty

I have never really been a quilt kind of person. I mean I love quilts, but I never had any interest in making them. I've done a few very simple 9-patches but that is about it.
At a recent family garage sale, I found 11 Sonic t-shirts that had once belonged to my SIL Megan. Some were splattered with grease spots but that is inevitable when you work at a fast food restaurant. As soon as I saw them I just HAD to make a t-shirt quilt, even though I really had no idea what I was doing. So I snatched them up, brought them home, washed them very well, and started researching.
I wound up cutting the shirts into 11.5" squares, front and back. That only gave me 22 squares and I just knew that wasn't gonna be big enough. So, I grabbed all the sleeves, and cut 4.5" squares out of those. Then I used the bottom of the shirts too, cutting the same size squares. The only part of the shirt that didn't get used were the hems and collars.
I just happened to have 2.5 yards of black broadcloth on hand so I used that for the sashing. I was so afraid that this quilt would be too small that I think I made it too big! It is close to queen size.

 I knew that since the front was so colorful, I wanted black and white for the back and binding. I had the crazy wavy fabric on hand but had to buy the dot fabric. In the end, all I had to buy was the dots and the batting.
I did a very simple quilting stitch along both sides of each column and row. I wanted to do much more but, quite frankly, after a few rows I just wanted to be done, and moving that much quilt through my machine was killing me!
 I mis-cut this particular shirt and had an extra 9-patch left over so I made quick and easy pillows. The binding here is the same as on the quilt.



All in all, I am in love with this quilt and am so glad I did it. I cannot wait to give it to Megan and her husband, Andy. They met while working at Sonic and I thought this would be a great thing to have. Shoot, I would kill for a Pizza Hut quilt!

Another year, another "Holy Crap!" moment

Well, first I want to start with a Starry Night update. I have been able to accomplish quite a bit on this particular project. It is slow going at best, and I am sure I am not doing it the right way but I still like it. I get bored easily at times, so I try and work in just one color for a bit, then switch to another. With this pattern there is a lot of black- a lot - so it is difficult to just keep going at times but will certainly be worth it in the end.
                      

For Christmas this year I have once again given myselt way too much to do. Not that I regret it at all. In fact, I love to do this stuff and if I could find a way to make money making this stuff I would certainly do so. Anyway, my SIL Jennifer specifically requested new makeup bags for Christmas. She loved a bag I had made for her before, but it wasn't big enough for all her makeup, and she wanted one to put her hair supplies in (hair dryer, curling iron, etc..). So I found the same pattern online (here), enlarged it a bunch and made her three new bags. She likes purple and I fell in love with this fabric and color combo so I really hope she likes it!


 I even made my own tags!


I decided to do the same thing for my other 3 SILs also. Megan is a big polka dots kinda gal so when I saw this fabric I had to have it.
 


 Look, another tag! I can't decide which one I like better.


For Julie, I wanted something dfferent. I kinda took a gamble on this color combo, but I think she will like it. As for the pattern, it is just a mish mash of online tutorials I found. Unfortunantly, they are pretty floppy. In fact, I had to stuff them with books to make them look pretty for these pics.


That just leaves one set of bags to go. I made some for Michelle but after making all of these I am no longer happy with them, so I will remake them.
And I am still not done with gifts!